[Neuroscience] Automatic focus control for microscope?

tomte via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by tehgabriel from web.de)
Tue May 8 11:38:19 EST 2007

Hi!
I am just curious about this: Does anybody know a solution how to keep
a microscope in automatically in focus?

It seems that some companys build this piezo driven objective holders
which can be controled with a software that continuously takes a
picture and compares it with a previous one. As soon as there appears
some blur, the focus gets corrected via the piezo drive.
I was wondering whether there is any alternative to this image
processing procedure. For instance, measuring the distance between
objective and stage via a capacitive device or a laser interferometer.

Any ideas or comments?

Regards,

Thomas