[Neuroscience] Excessive DC drift during field potential recording

Wed Nov 28 16:37:18 EST 2007

Hi,

We're trying to record cortical spreading depression in rat brain
slices, you microinject some 26mM KCl solution and it induces a 5-20mV
spreading wave of depolarization across the cortex.

The problem is we're getting really bad DC drift, the potential drifts
up and down, sometimes by as much as +/-10mV.  Turning ON the
temperature controller makes it worse (presumably because of
temperature swings). The hight of the tissue bath doesn't seem to be
changing.

Any ideas on what could be causing the drift, and hence how to get rid
of it?

(Oh, and I can't just AC couple the data, the spreading depression
waves are 10+s long).