[Neuroscience] recording from hippocampal slice cultures

Karthik Rajasekaran via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by kr5z from virginia.edu)
Fri Oct 5 09:31:01 EST 2007

Dear Members
I am trying to perform patch clamp recordings from hippocampal slice
cultures in our lab, but find it tough compared to recording from acute
slices. Part of the problem, I think is that its difficult to securely
anchor down the slice, the explants are attached to the Millipore
membrane. When I try to reach a neuron that is slightly deeper (maybe 75
microM), the whole slice moves. If someone has experience with recording
from slice cultures, I would greatly appreciate receiving your advice on
what should I do (and not do) when recording from slice cultures? Thank
you so much.
Sincerely,
Karthik