[Neuroscience] There's a Ghost in my Tinnitus

John H. via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by bingblat from goaway.com.au)
Mon Oct 15 07:37:54 EST 2007

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071005185125.htm

Salvi and colleagues discovered that when the brain's auditory cortex begins
receiving diminished neural signals from the cochlea, the hearing organ, due
to injury or age, the auditory cortex "turns up the volume," increasing weak
neural signals from the cochlea. Increasing the volume of these weak signals
may be experienced as the buzzing, ringing, or hissing characteristic of
tinnitus. Currently there is no drug or treatment that can abolish these
phantom sounds.

So GABA falls, just as in TBI(receptors fade away), where tinnitus is a
common problem.

Damn, to think I spent a small fortune on a sound system so I could hear the
reeds on Garbarek's sax. All I had to do was trust my brain to improve
imaging and separation with more dopamine, get rid of that nasty NAD( hate
those amps!) twang with some serotonin, remove distortion when I crank it up
by boosting GABA to suppress aberrant signals, and some nore for when I play
Gay Bikers on Acid. Now why didn't someone tell me I had a sound system in
my head?