[Neuroscience] Increasing series resistance

Han Xu via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by han from cns.nyu.edu)
Mon Oct 22 13:59:49 EST 2007

Hi All,

I recently study long-term synaptic plasticity in neocortex with
patch clamp recording. The biggest problem I am facing is that series
resistance is always going up over time, which decreases synaptic
response amplitude. As a result, it is impossible to define the real
potentiation or depression after conditioning stimuli. One thing I
doubt is the internal pipette solution with an osmolarity of 271
mOsm, which is low compared with the value mentioned in literature in
the range of 290-310 mOsm. Is there anybody has experience on this
problem? I will be really appreciated if somebody can give me any
suggestions.

Best,
Han