[Neuroscience] Re: Good book about left brain/right brain

Scott H via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by zinites_page from yahoo.com)
Tue Oct 23 10:36:39 EST 2007

On Oct 20, 1:50 pm, Malrassic Park <male... from gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 09:40:52 -0700, Scott H <zinites_p... from yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >I'm looking for something that's based on verified fact, not
> >speculation.
>
> Dunno. But the biggest brain difference goes from front to back, not
> right to left.

That's definitely how it looks from the outside.

I recently brought up the internal asymmetry of the human body on
sci.physics, when I asked if it ultimately depended on the laws of
magnetism, or on some other law of nature that distinguishes between
right and left, as by a cross product. The answer I received was "no,"
but without a convincing explanation.

I've heard that while the left hemisphere can process both affirmative
and negative judgments, the right hemisphere can only process
affirmative ones.

I've also read that while the left medial prefrontal cortex "processes
a personal network related to the self" (www.sciencedaily.com/releases/
2003/11/031111064658.htm), the right medial prefrontal cortex
facilitates our theory of others' minds. In other words, if these
articles are true, then the left medial prefrontal cortex processes
*subjective* information (about ourselves) and the right medial
prefrontal cortex processes *objective* information (about others'
mental states). This is a little ironic considering that many consider
the right hemisphere to be involved in the more subjective aspects of
our thinking. That's why I want a book based on fact and not
speculation.