[Neuroscience] Re: Good book about left brain/right brain

r norman via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by r_s_norman from _comcast.net)
Tue Oct 23 10:50:53 EST 2007

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 08:36:39 -0700, Scott H <zinites_page from yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Oct 20, 1:50 pm, Malrassic Park <male... from gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 09:40:52 -0700, Scott H <zinites_p... from yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>> >I'm looking for something that's based on verified fact, not
>> >speculation.
>>
>> Dunno. But the biggest brain difference goes from front to back, not
>> right to left.
>
>That's definitely how it looks from the outside.
>
>I recently brought up the internal asymmetry of the human body on
>sci.physics, when I asked if it ultimately depended on the laws of
>magnetism, or on some other law of nature that distinguishes between
>right and left, as by a cross product. The answer I received was "no,"
>but without a convincing explanation.
>
>I've heard that while the left hemisphere can process both affirmative
>and negative judgments, the right hemisphere can only process
>affirmative ones.
>
>I've also read that while the left medial prefrontal cortex "processes
>a personal network related to the self" (www.sciencedaily.com/releases/
>2003/11/031111064658.htm), the right medial prefrontal cortex
>facilitates our theory of others' minds. In other words, if these
>articles are true, then the left medial prefrontal cortex processes
>*subjective* information (about ourselves) and the right medial
>prefrontal cortex processes *objective* information (about others'
>mental states). This is a little ironic considering that many consider
>the right hemisphere to be involved in the more subjective aspects of
>our thinking. That's why I want a book based on fact and not
>speculation.

You do have an awful lot of speculation in your thinking.

There are a lot of left-right asymmetries in animals that are
otherwise considered bilaterally symmetric.  There are lobster and
fiddler crab claws of dramatically different shape and size on the two
sizes.  There are gastropod molluscs whose bodies twist in one
direction and others whose bodies twist in the other with all sorts of
internal asymmetries.   There are hermit crabs whose abdomens are
asymmetrical to fit into snail shells.  There is the left vs. the
right side of our own heart.

You don't look for "left-hand rules" or "right-hand rules" in physics
for the answers that are more reflected in simple developmental
processes.  During embryonic development, there are genes that
determine body axes.  Developmental process easily differentiate
between anterior and posterior, between dorsal and ventral.  Why would
you suspect that they can't also differential between left and right
even though most animals have body structures that are largely
bilaterally symmetric?

Why don't you just start by googling "biology lateralization" or
"biology asymmetry" and selecting only academic sources to  eliminate
most of the kooks?