[Neuroscience] signalling methods used by nerves

diversarts via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by m.k.ball from btinternet.com)
Wed Oct 31 12:27:50 EST 2007

Hi - I know nothing about neuroscience, but am interested inthe
insights that can be gained into system design from the human body.
Does anyone understand the signalling method that the body uses for
transmitting information from nerve cells to the brain and then back
from the brain to... a muscle for example?

Using water as an anology, I'm assuming that each nerve cell is at the
end of a tiny stream that connects to a greater river until it reaches
the spinal chord, which would be the equivalent of the amazon. By
comparison, you could consider an 'electrical wiring' model, where
every nerve had a tiny direct cable to the brain, which may end up
being bunched together with other cables but is still ultimately a
separate direct line.

I'm assuming that the first model is correct, and that nerve cells
send signals that are mixed with signals being sent by other cells -
and if this is the case, presumably that means that nerve cells have
to include some unique information with the signal that they send that
identifies them as the source of the signal. If this is the case, what
form would that identifier take?

I anyone can shed any light on this, or set me straight if I'm making
completely the wrong assumptions here, that would be great!

diversarts