[Neuroscience] Re: Brain Works More Chaotically Than Previously Thought

Alpha via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by omegazero2003 from yahoo.com)
Sat Apr 19 09:29:18 EST 2008

On Apr 19, 5:17=A0am, "J.A.Legris" <jaleg... from sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2:59=A0am, "John Hasenkam" <jo... from goawayplease.com> wrote:
>
> > Brain Works More Chaotically Than Previously Thought
>
> >http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/02/070227105247.htm
>
> > The brain appears to process information more chaotically than has long =
been
> > assumed. This is demonstrated by a new study conducted by scientists at =
the
> > University of Bonn. The passing on of information from neuron to neuron =
does
> > not, they show, occur exclusively at the synapses, i.e. the junctions
> > between the nerve cell extensions. Rather, it seems that the neurons rel=
ease
> > their chemical messengers along the entire length of these extensions an=
d,
> > in this way, excite the neighbouring cells.
>
> K=E1rad=F3ttir, R., Hamilton, N.B., Bakiri, Y & Attwell, D. Spiking and
> nonspiking classes of oligodendrocyte precursor glia in CNS white
> matter. Nature Neuroscience 11, 450 - 456 (2008).
>
> Kukley, M., Capetillo-Zarate, E. & Dietrich, D. Vesicular release of
> glutamate from axons in white matter. Nat. Neurosci. 10, 311=96320
> (2007).
>
> Ziskin, J.L., Nishiyama, A., Rubio, M., Fukaya, M. & Bergles, D.E.
> Vesicular release of glutamate from unmyelinated axons in white
> matter. Nat. Neurosci. 10, 321=96330 (2007).

Indeed!  It is the soup (as I have been saying) that also contributes
to "information processing"; not only the extracellular soup, but the
soup/structures/functions within each neuron as well; much of which,
it is presumed, has chaotic aspects, albeit with some emergent goals
that seem to lend themselves to autopoiesis.