[Neuroscience] Re: Brain Works More Chaotically Than Previously Thought

feedbackdroid via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by feedbackdroid from yahoo.com)
Sat Apr 19 11:39:53 EST 2008

On Apr 19, 10:23=A0am, r norman <r_s_norman from _comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 05:17:41 -0700 (PDT), "J.A.Legris"
>

> <jaleg... from sympatico.ca> wrote:
> >On Apr 19, 2:59=A0am, "John Hasenkam" <jo... from goawayplease.com> wrote:
> >> Brain Works More Chaotically Than Previously Thought
>
> >>http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/02/070227105247.htm
>
> >> The brain appears to process information more chaotically than has long=
 been
> >> assumed. This is demonstrated by a new study conducted by scientists at=
 the
> >> University of Bonn. The passing on of information from neuron to neuron=
 does
> >> not, they show, occur exclusively at the synapses, i.e. the junctions
> >> between the nerve cell extensions. Rather, it seems that the neurons re=
lease
> >> their chemical messengers along the entire length of these extensions a=
nd,
> >> in this way, excite the neighbouring cells.
>
> >K=E1rad=F3ttir, R., Hamilton, N.B., Bakiri, Y & Attwell, D. Spiking and
> >nonspiking classes of oligodendrocyte precursor glia in CNS white
> >matter. Nature Neuroscience 11, 450 - 456 (2008).
>
> >Kukley, M., Capetillo-Zarate, E. & Dietrich, D. Vesicular release of
> >glutamate from axons in white matter. Nat. Neurosci. 10, 311=96320
> >(2007).
>
> >Ziskin, J.L., Nishiyama, A., Rubio, M., Fukaya, M. & Bergles, D.E.
> >Vesicular release of glutamate from unmyelinated axons in white
> >matter. Nat. Neurosci. 10, 321=96330 (2007).
>
> The paper referred to in the news release does not =A0seem to be
> available at Nature Neuroscience yet. =A0 It is not clear what this
> means for myelinated neurons where information could not readily be
> transmitted in this fashion. =A0Perhaps it is related to maintaining the
> myelination.
>
> In any event, many thanks for providing actual journal citations. =A0I
> hate reading only news releases.

=46rom the brief description, it looks like glutamate release is related
to both development of myelination, and maintenance of same. Once the
myelination has occurred, prior knowledge suggests the axons are
roughly isolated from each other. All in all, it sounds like the
phenomenon described might have minor influence on regular brain
activity.