[Neuroscience] Re: Cuttting solutions for electrophysiology

Christian Wilms via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by usenet02 from out-of-phase.de)
Thu Dec 4 13:36:30 EST 2008

Hey Jose!

I thought you were foraging in vivo now :)

> I use a cutting solution in which NaCl is only partly replaced by
> sucrosse (both for storage and cutting). No Glu-antagonists or
> anti-oxidant agents like pyruvate or ascorbic acid.

I've never used different solutions for slicing and recording, as
cerebellum in juveline animals is quite straight forward. I know
Bernardo Sabatini's group tends to use choline-chloride based solutions
for slicing.

What I've seen people in our lab do (if they needed perfect preservation
of fine structures) is to store the slices in the sucrose solution after
slicing and subsequently _slowly_ (takes around 20 minutes) replace the
solution with regular ACSF.

Good luck with your experiments,

Christian