[Neuroscience] Re: which dye do I choose? It shouldnot cross the synapse , and keep the fluorescence for a long time (a few months)?

Wed Dec 24 00:57:10 EST 2008

On Dec 5, 8:51 am, kon... from gmail.com wrote:
> Hi
> my experiment is transplanted the neurons to the nerve tissue of host.
> Now I want to observe the synapse between the transplanted neurons and
> host neurons. So before transplantation, i go to find a dye to
> staining the  transplanted neurons.
> this dye shouldnot cross the synapse,so I can obsevre the synapse in
> electron scope.
> and the experimentsin vivo lasts a long time ,I want to it keep the
> fluorescence for about 4 month.
>
> is there a dye recommended? does DiI or Dio meet the requirement? I
> really donnot konw if DiI can cross the synapse.
> thank you.

Sounds like you're going to need a transgenic animal to me. GFP under
the NeuN promoter or something. Stick glowing neurons into the head of
the wild-type animal. I'm no expert, but it strikes me that most dyes
will be metabolized and cleared in live tissue over 4 months.