[Neuroscience] Re: Neur-sci Digest, Vol 43, Issue 11

Alex Thome via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by thome.alex from gmail.com)
Sun Dec 28 12:21:31 EST 2008

Hi Katharine, good question and a great place to ask it. I would say 5 is
certainly good, and 15 is better given that during times of economic
hardship people seek refuge in academia. As far as picking the best place
goes, I would recommend contacting some of the PI's you are
interested in and having an informal discussion with them regarding
projects/positions. One good place to do this would be to go to the
annual SFN meeting and try to meet as many of your chosen PI's (as well as
their post-doc and grad-students) in person. Having a personal
meeting, makes you more memorable from the stacks of 100's of applications
they may have to sift through, but also will tell you whether
there may be a personality conflict. Being a grad student that's about as
much as I can tell you, feel free to contact me if you have any further
questions.

Cheers,

Alex

________________________________