[Neuroscience] Effects of high frequency electromagnetic field (EMF) emitted by mobile phones on the human motor cortex

ayaz via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by ayazsiddiqi61 from yahoo.com)
Sat Jan 26 14:03:53 EST 2008

Effects of high frequency electromagnetic field (EMF) emitted by
mobile phones on the human motor cortex
Satomi Inomata-Terada, Shingo Okabe, Noritoshi Arai, Ritsuko Hanajima,
Yasuo Terao, Toshiaki Frubayashi, Yoshikazu Ugawa *
Department of Neurology, Graduate School of Medicine, the University
of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

email: Yoshikazu Ugawa (ugawa-tky from umin.net)

*Correspondence to Yoshikazu Ugawa, Department of Neurology, Division
of Neuroscience, Graduate School of Medicine, the University of Tokyo,
7-3-1, Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8655, Japan.

Abstract
We investigated whether the pulsed high frequency electromagnetic
field (EMF) emitted by a mobile phone has short term effects on the
human motor cortex. We measured motor evoked potentials (MEPs)
elicited by single pulse transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS),
before and after mobile phone exposure (active and sham) in 10 normal
volunteers. Three sites were stimulated (motor cortex (CTX), brainstem
(BST) and spinal nerve (Sp)). The short interval intracortical
inhibition (SICI) of the motor cortex reflecting GABAergic
interneuronal function was also studied by paired pulse TMS method.
MEPs to single pulse TMS were also recorded in two patients with
multiple sclerosis showing temperature dependent neurological symptoms
(hot bath effect). Neither MEPs to single pulse TMS nor the SICI was
affected by 30 min of EMF exposure from mobile phones or sham
exposure. In two MS patients, mobile phone exposure had no effect on
any parameters of MEPs even though conduction block occurred at the
corticospinal tracts after taking a bath. As far as available methods
are concerned, we did not detect any short-term effects of 30 min
mobile phone exposure on the human motor cortical output neurons or
interneurons even though we can not exclude the possibility that we
failed to detect some mild effects due to a small sample size in the
present study. This is the first study of MEPs after electromagnetic
exposure from a mobile phone in neurological patients.
Bioelectromagnetics