[Neuroscience] Myelination and Blood Cholesterol Titer

baumgrenze via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by baumgrenze from yahoo.com)
Fri Jan 25 23:58:26 EST 2008

I would like to propose the hypothesis that there is sufficient human
genetic variation that some individuals require differing blood
cholesterol titers to achieve optimal myelination, and that this
highly important biological function will trigger a feedback mechanism
which will set blood cholesterol at the level required for
homeostasis.

This suggests to me that medical intervention to adjust blood
cholesterol to an 'ideal' level viz-a-viz atherosclerosis, while well
intentioned, may trigger neurological problems. Perhaps such
intervention should not be suggested before a patient is evaluated
with regard to neurosynthesis. At a minimum, all patients being
treated for hypercholesterolemia should be forewarned to watch for
neurological side effects so that their therapy can be adjusted or
terminated before difficult to correct neuopathies ensue.

I've not found this hypothesis an easy subject for literature
research. Does anyone know if such work has been done or is underway?