[Neuroscience] Re: Myelination and Blood Cholesterol Titer

JHasenkam from gmail.com via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by JHasenkam from gmail.com)
Mon Jan 28 19:07:15 EST 2008

On Jan 26, 2:58 pm, baumgrenze <baumgre... from yahoo.com> wrote:
> I would like to propose the hypothesis that there is sufficient human
> genetic variation that some individuals require differing blood
> cholesterol titers to achieve optimal myelination, and that this
> highly important biological function will trigger a feedback mechanism
> which will set blood cholesterol at the level required for
> homeostasis.
>
> This suggests to me that medical intervention to adjust blood
> cholesterol to an 'ideal' level viz-a-viz atherosclerosis, while well
> intentioned, may trigger neurological problems. Perhaps such
> intervention should not be suggested before a patient is evaluated
> with regard to neurosynthesis. At a minimum, all patients being
> treated for hypercholesterolemia should be forewarned to watch for
> neurological side effects so that their therapy can be adjusted or
> terminated before difficult to correct neuopathies ensue.
>
> I've not found this hypothesis an easy subject for literature
> research. Does anyone know if such work has been done or is underway?

Yes, some studies have found that reduced cholesterol can impact on
memory and cognition. Ironically this effect is more pronounced in the
elderly. It has been stated that myelin is 20% cholesterol. The
confounders here are that statins reduce coq10 function which can be
rather bad for brains and cholesterol in the brain may be from local
production not from the liver. If on a statin a coq10 supplement is a
good safeguard.

Can't help you with literature searches because this computer does not
contain my archives.