[Neuroscience] Re: rat brain perfusion and fixation

Mick Craig via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by mick6116 from googlemail.com)
Wed Jul 2 09:03:42 EST 2008

> Hello,
>

> I am working on perfusion and fixation of rat brains for the purpose of
> Fluoro-Jade staining after the brain has been sectioned with a cryostat.
> I am having problems with the brain sections looking like "Swiss
> cheese".  Has anyone else had this problem?  What can I do about this
> problem?  I am using 4% paraformaldehyde in PBS.  Any info/hints will be
> greatly appreciated.
>

> Thank you,
>

> Mary Brownson, Ph.D.
>
> School of Pharmacy

After perfusing the brains, I normally sit them in 4% paraformaldehyde for a
day, and then put them into a 30% sucrose solution overnight for a second
day. This helps to cryoprotect the brains and stop them disintigrating when
you cut them.

Mick Craig