[Neuroscience] Backpropagation in biological neurons

Fredo via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by fredo from hotmail.com)
Sat Jul 26 09:06:58 EST 2008

I've been reading a bit about neurophysiology and neurobiology. A number of
texts refer to backpropagation in real neurons, where the signal
backpropagates, though significantly attenuated, up the dendrites.

I can't seem to find out much detail on the matter, beyond the fact that it
exists. In particular, what is the significance? The backpropagation might
affect gap junction-connected neurons, but it can't back-propagate through
synapses, can it? If it can, what's the mechanism? Surely not
neurotransmitter release in the dendrites...

Thanks