[Neuroscience] Re: Backpropagation in biological neurons

r norman via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by r_s_norman from _comcast.net)
Sat Jul 26 13:06:35 EST 2008

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:14:04 +0100, usenet02 from out-of-phase.de
(Christian Wilms) wrote:

>While dendritic neurotransmitter release is one function,
>backpropagating APs are also considered important in other phenomena.
>
>One important thing to consider is that backpropagation can have two
>separate mechanisms: A merely passive electrotonic spread of
>actionpotentials from the soma/initiation site into the dendrites. This
>is often weak and not found in all neurons. Alternatively, voltage
>sensitive ionchannels in the dendrites can cause an active
>backpropagation.
>
>One role of backprops is the unblocking of NMDA-channels at synapses,
>allowing them to open when they are activated by glutamate released from
>the presynapse. This coincidence of pre- and post-synaptic activity can
>lead to changes in the strength of the involved synapses.
>
>You might want to have a look at:
>
>M. London and M. Häusser. Dendritic computation. Annual Reviews
>Neuroscience, 28:503-532, 2005.

Yes, that one I forgot about completely.  My bad, it is a very
important phenomenon.