[Neuroscience] What can I fill neurons with to disrupt vesicle release?

Thu Jul 31 04:42:12 EST 2008

Hi,

I need something to put in my intracellular patch solution to stop a
neuron in a slice releasing GABA. I don't want to use BAPTA because it
will mess with Calcium activated K channels. Botox and Tetanus toxins
are possibilities, but they both make me a little nervous (not because
they are deadly, but because they are expensive (botox) and because
they don't hit all synapses (tetanus) and I'm not sure how many uses
I'd get out of one vial). Anything else?

Thanks.