[Neuroscience] Re: The Value of Placebo

John Hasenkam via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by johnh from goawayplease.com)
Wed Mar 5 21:21:45 EST 2008

Hey Glen,

Thanks for the data check. I've never liked the casual dismissal of the
Place Effect nor the willy nilly way in which it is invoked. An old friend
of mine suggested that the appellation needs to be in the plural because
there are many varieties of placebo and different processes seem to be at
play. Another case where the name leads the cognition astray.

Would such an effect be noted simply for larger numeric values(eg. more of
the active agent in pill X, or a casual remark: we find this pill better
but- or AND -  its cheaper) or is it money specific? What would happen if
this experiment were replicated in cultures where there are different over
arching imperatives other than money? Can a person's cognitive performance
be enhanced by placebo?

Good to see people still researching this area, it has been too much
ignored.

Thanks,

John.

news:47cf128f$0$24664$ed362ca5 from nr2.newsreader.com...