[Neuroscience] Brain Slices must loose their Afferents?

Sat Mar 15 02:59:14 EST 2008

I'm SURE that if you make organotypic brain slices, and incubate them
for a couple of days, any synaptic terminals that have been axotomized
from their cell bodies will die and become non-functional. I.e. a
simple cortical organotypic slice (after a week) will have no
functional serotonergic, dopaminergic or noradrenergic fibres
projecting from the brain stem?

That's got to be the case, right? Does anyone have any citations to
support that idea? I've been looking all night and I've got zip.

Thanks.