[Neuroscience] Cuttting solutions for electrophysiology

Jose Guzman via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by nin from neurohost.org)
Thu Nov 27 11:11:22 EST 2008

Hi everybody,

I am currently working in hippocampal brain slices to do patch-clamp
electrophysiology. Due to some experimental issues, I will have to
record to neurons in old animals (P21-30). The problem is that the
neurons I need are very susceptible to hypoxia , so the preparation
requires some special cutting solutions.

I collected the 3 major types of cutting solutions, and I would really
like to know if any of you tried these in his/her experiments . These
solutions have some minor variations in other publications (may contain
additionally APV or kyneuric acid to prevent glutamate excitotoxicity),
but basically are described as follows:

 1.- Sucrose based solution: total or partial replacement of NaCl
by Sucrose. (Aghajanian and Rasmussen, 1989, Moyer and Brown,1998).

 2.- Glycerol based solution: the same as the previous but with
 Glycerol replacement. (Ye et al., 2006).

 3.- KGluconate based solution: without Ca2+ or Na+:
 specially indicated for patching dendrites (Dugué et al., 2005).

	    A major problem I found is that these papers are not very
	    much cited in other publications (for example, Ye et al.,
	    2006 has only 6 citations). Personally, I found that
	    Sucrose-based solutions made an improvement (although not
	    very big) but I would really like to hear from your
	    experiences.

	    Thank you very much for your feedback!