[Neuroscience] Re: Neur-sci Digest, Vol 41, Issue 2

Trevor Lewis via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by t.lewis from unsw.edu.au)
Mon Oct 6 20:34:42 EST 2008

Hi Bill,

Correcting for liquid junction potentials when doing perforated
patches can be a rather tricky situation. First, you have the liquid
junction potential between the patch pipette and the batch solution,
which was 'zeroed' when the patch pipette was first placed in the
bath. Second, there is the junction potential across the cell
membrane permeabilized with gramacidin. This junction potential will
be determined by the activities of the permeable ions on either side
of the membrane and the permeability of the membrane with the
gramacidin.  Thus, you will need to find out the permeability of
gramacidin - I guess that this information is in the literature, but
I confess that I haven't looked. You will also need to make the
assumption that the gramacidin conductance in the membrane is far
greater than any other conductance that is present in the membrane
under the pipette tip, and so dominates the junction potential; this
is a fairly reasonable assumption. Depending on the composition of
your pipette solution and the permeability of gramacidin, it may be
necessary to also take account of the Donnan potential across the
membrane under the pipette.

For whole-cell recordings when the cell contents is dialysed with the
pipette solution, the correction for the liquid junction potential is simply:

Vm = Vp - LJP

where the LJP is what was cancelled when the pipette offset was
'zeroed'. The LJP is best calculated using the Junction Potential
Calculator in Clampex. Vm is the membrane potential and Vp is the
command potential at the pipette.

With the perforated patch, the correction is:

Vm = (Vp + Vpf) - LJP

where the Vpf is the potential you will need to calculate for the
perforated patch potential due to gramacidin in the patch.
If you look at the Junction Potential Calculator, there is some
(small) online help with calculating perforated patch LJPs.

If you want to discuss this further, happy to help out off-line.

Regards,

Trevor