[Neuroscience] latest research on the what and how of our (and/or animal) brains' processing of concepts/numbers

lbrtchx from gmail.com via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by lbrtchx from gmail.com)
Wed Oct 8 00:38:06 EST 2008

 Hi,
~
 I was reading "Thinking about Mathematics" by Stewart Shapiro, who
talks about Donald O. Hebb's paper "The Organization of Behavior
(1949)" and about his research on how our brains "process" numbers
~
 Now, technology has advanced quite a bit since 1949, which made me
wonder about the latest research on that area. I checked for books on
this kind of topic and as usual you will find a lot of what I reader
at amazon considered "pop neuroscience", which is exactly what I am
avoiding
~
 Could you point me to the latest research/seminal papers on the
subject of synaptic plasticity and our brains "processing" of concepts/
numbers? I am primarily interested about papers/claims backed by
actual physical investigations and it would be nice if they are
oriented towards the epistemology and ontology of concepts/numbers.
~
 Thank you
 lbrtchx