[Neuroscience] Re: Rat (Long Evans) Cerebellar Cortex Size

Matthew Kirkcaldie via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by Matthew.Kirkcaldie from removeutas.removeedu.au)
Fri Oct 31 03:25:40 EST 2008

In article
<7357694e-1405-4c68-b956-f16d61f58c0b from f37g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
 Kerry <kbrownk from gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know the approximate parasagittal length of the rat
> cerebellar (not cerebral) cortex or have a reference for where I could
> find it measured?
>
> I was given a slide with sagittally sliced sections that together make
> up 600 um of thickness and I want to know what proportion of the
> cerebellar cortex I have.

Don't take this the wrong way, but that's kind of a meaningless
question. The cerebellum is a tightly infolded three dimensional
arrangement of a two-dimensional sheet; asking "what proportion of the
cerebellar cortex" is represented by a parasagittal block 600 µm thick
would require a pretty detailed analysis of the overall shape of the
cortical sheet when unfolded, plus a projection of where the slice lay
on the unfolded sheet.

It would be easier to give a less nit-picking answer if you explained
why you want to know - is it an estimate of volume, or asking if it's
representative, or what?

      Cheers, MK.