[Neuroscience] Differential Attenutation of EPSPs in Voltage Clamp vs Current Clamp

Fri Aug 7 04:15:31 EST 2009

I was reading a paper by Stephen Williams that showed that you get
more distance dependent attenuation of EPSPs when you record in
voltage clamp than in current clamp. I modelled it using NEURON and I
got the exact same result. Why is this?

I would have thought the (albiet partial) voltage control along the
cable would mean that voltage clamp would reduce capacitive currents
(i.e. less C*dv/dt), and therefore would retain more longitudial
current and you would get less attenuation.