[Neuroscience] Op Amps - The Voltage Follower Circuit

Fri Feb 13 20:16:27 EST 2009

I'm having a hard time understanding the classical Voltage Follower
Circuit made by a single op amp. I wont bother trying to draw it in
ASCII, just have a look here if you don't know what I'm talking about:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electronic/opampvar2.html

This is who I'm thinking about it (which I'm sure is wrong):
1) Lets imagine you have a 1mV input to the + input.
2) At the instant this is switched on the - input is 0, so the op amp
outputs 1mV
3) Now the + input still gets 1mV and - input gets 1mV, so the amp
outputs 0mV, sending us back 1)

I appriciate that the op amp works 'instantaneously' so you don't get
oscillations like I described, but I still don't know how one can
conceptualize op amps without getting into these kind of oscillations.

Thanks for anyone who can tell me the correct way to think about this