[Neuroscience] Re: Analytical and numerical solutions

Bill.Connelly via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by connelly.bill from gmail.com)
Fri Feb 20 01:24:34 EST 2009

Numerical solutions are essential simulations, analytical methods
involve an equation.

In neuroscience, classical examples are calculating the membrane
potential of a cell the NEURON modelling package. Here you do not
calculation the membrane potential for any given point of time, you
calculate it over time, using the last known value. This is a
numerical solution.

Figuring out the reversal potential of an ion channel using the Nernst
equation, this is an analytical equation.