[Neuroscience] Re: Ion channel distributions

Michael Schrey via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by michael.schrey from t-online.de)
Wed Jan 14 06:41:26 EST 2009

Hello Rick,

ad (1):
- no. Neither concerning type of channel (gating mechanism, ion
permeablility, "speed"), nor concerning tissue type (neurons vs. muscle
for example), nor concerning distribution in one cell (axons vs. soma,
Ranvier's vs. myelin sheath).

ad (2):
- kind of yes, but: rarely is one type of channel (isoform)
representative for only one type of cell

ad (3):
- probably not, as ionchannel-distribution is one way of "specializing"
in cells, which occurs as well in vertebrates as in invertebrates.

For a quite comprehensive overview on sodium channels see

Goldin, A. L. (1999) Diversity of mammalian voltage-gated sodium
channels. Ann N Y Acad Sci 868, 38-50.
Goldin, A. L. (2001) Resurgence of sodium channel research. Annu Rev
Physiol 63, 871-894.
Or have a look at my (German) thesis at
http://deposit.ddb.de/cgi-bin/dokserv?idn=982011482&dok_var=d1&dok_ext=pdf&filename=982011482.pdf

Good luck with your project!