[Neuroscience] Re: Combine neuroscience and computer science

J.A.Legris via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by jalegris from sympatico.ca)
Wed Jan 28 10:36:57 EST 2009

On Jan 28, 7:22 am, KATHARINE LEAH DICKSON <kldick... from wisc.edu> wrote:
> Studying consciousness in neuroscience, I think, requires a knowledge of what consciousness actually is.  It's not impossible to study it - Giulio Tononi at my institution is doing some research related to sleep, and I think Tristan Bekinschtein at Cambridge is doing research on 'disorders of consciousness', but I don't know how you'd approach it from computational paths since much of 'consciousness' is colored by human emotions, which computers cannot simulate.
>
> Katharine Leah Dickson
> kldick... from wisc.edu

Thanks for mentioning Tonini, you reminded me of a fine book. It's a
good example of a scientific approach to the subject where computation
is seen as a tool rather than a substrate:

Gerald Edelman and Giulio Tononi (2001). A Universe Of Consciousness:
How Matter Becomes Imagination
http://www.amazon.com/Universe-Consciousness-Matter-Becomes-Imagination/dp/0465013775

Here's another I haven't read yet that comes highly recommended:

Gyorgy Buzsaki (2006). Rhythms of the Brain
http://www.amazon.com/Rhythms-Brain-Gyorgy-Buzsaki/dp/0195301064

Also, if you want to understand consciousness, consider the continuity
of brain structure/function across time and phyla. This one I can
personally recommend:

Georg F. Striedter (2004). Principles of Brain Evolution
http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Brain-Evolution-Georg-Striedter/dp/0878938206

--
Joe