[Neuroscience] The relationship between gap junction conductance and coupling coefficient?

Wed Jul 1 22:44:31 EST 2009

Does anyone know the relationship between gap junction conductance and
coupling coefficient?

Coupling coefficient is the ratio of the voltage change in cell2 over
the voltage change in cell1, when current is injected into cell1.

I can see the circuit: Two resistors to ground (Rm of cell 1 and 2),
linked by the resistance of the gap junction. I can see that as the
resistance of the gap junction drops to 0, the coupling coefficient
goes to 1 (Assuming the membrane resistance of the two cells is
(close) equal, which is a fiar assumption). I can also see, the
coupling coefficient goes to 0 when there is no coupling between the
cells.

But is it possible to convert the coupling coefficent to a gap
junction conductance?