[Neuroscience] How best to make rat EEG electrodes

Thu May 28 20:29:30 EST 2009

Hi,

I have never done EEG recordings from rodents; but I was curious if
anyone here has. I am going to be working on anaesthetized animals, so
I don't need mercury swivels or anything. Small screws seem like a
good way, electrode and attachment system in one (with a bit of dental
cement). But then how does one attach the leads to the screw? I can
think of numerous ways, such as solder on a 1mm plug (but this could
break), use a lead washer (but this would spread the recording area),
just clip on an aligator clip (could pop off).

Anybody got any tried and true methods?

Thanks.