[Neuroscience] How best to make rat EEG electrodes

Jim Urich via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by jimu from pinnaclet.com)
Fri May 29 08:58:16 EST 2009

Dear Bill:

[1]Pinnacle Technology makes both 0.10" and 0.12" screws with wire leads alread
y soldered for use in mouse surgeries, or 1/8" screws with wire leads for rat s
urgeries.  We also make various connection schemes to the skull which may facil
itate your surgeries.

Jim Urich
VP Sales & Marketing
Pinnacle Technology, Inc.
785-832-8866

   Bill wrote:

Hi,

I have never done EEG recordings from rodents; but I was curious if
anyone here has. I am going to be working on anaesthetized animals, so
I don't need mercury swivels or anything. Small screws seem like a
good way, electrode and attachment system in one (with a bit of dental
cement). But then how does one attach the leads to the screw? I can
think of numerous ways, such as solder on a 1mm plug (but this could
break), use a lead washer (but this would spread the recording area),
just clip on an aligator clip (could pop off).

Anybody got any tried and true methods?

Thanks.