[Neuroscience] Re: Adhesion of tissue slice onto a glass substrate

Thu Nov 5 20:22:07 EST 2009

Hi Vini,

I have two thoughts. The classical way of holding down slices is to
bend a piece of platinum (1mm) into a U shape, and then adhere
(cynoacrylate glue) fine fibers across the U (so it looks like a
harp). Then use that to hold down you slice. I don't fully understand
the geometry of your electrode, but if the platinum causes a short
circuit, you can coat it in cynoacrylate, or by teflon coated wire. If
you're scared of compressing your retina, use a vice (with a flat
gripping face) and a micrometer, and compress the platinum down to the
nominal thickness of a retina, then put the harp on upside down, so
the fibres are only just touching the retina.

You can also try precoating the glass with something like laminin,
poly-L-lysine or a non-organic hydrophobic coating like sylguard. But
if you electrode is base of your chamber, this this won't really be an
option.

Your final option is to drop submersions recording, and use an
interface chamber.