[Neuroscience] Re: Sensory recognition?

Mon Nov 30 01:25:28 EST 2009

If by biochemical, you mean nutrient, then there is no simple answer
to this. (or if there was, the answer would be, we don't know). There
are numerous pathways, involving numerous parts of the brain (not just
the hypothalamus). The most well understood (as far as I am aware) is
the selection for carbohydrates and amino acids. I believe the
carbohydrate selection involves the hypothalamus, and glucose (ATP)
sensing neurons releasing neuropeptide Y. Diets lacking essential
amino acid are sensed in the piriform cortex (independent of the sense
of smell or taste) by a lack of particular tRNA, which then activates
a complex downstream pathway.