[Neuroscience] Re: Maths student with much brain missing?

John Hasenkam via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by johnh from goawayplease.com)
Mon Oct 26 20:01:12 EST 2009

That sounds very much like one of John Lorber's patients. He was a British
neurosurgeon who argued that in some cases there is evidence of massive
neocortical loss without apparent behavioral anomalies. He makes specific
reference to one maths student who had massive tissue loss. Lorber was
generally laughed at for his views but a recent case from France has
resurrected the issue. Raises interesting questions about cerebral
organisation but not about the "mind body problem", whatever that is.

John.

<charlesgriffin from mypostoffice.co.uk> wrote in message
news:mailman.98.1255441164.1133.neur-sci from net.bio.net...
Hello Neur-Sci members...

I'm writing a book which involves, among other things, the brain/mind issue.

Some 30 years ago I remember a report (possibly in the New Scientist) about
a maths? student at the University of Birmingham, UK, who, as I recall,
passed his exams, but then became unwell. An x-ray found that he had only a
cortex, and very little or no other brain matter. I remember that the report
contained what seems to have been the x-ray picture of a more or less empty
head.

I moved house some 25 years ago, and the article has got hopelessly lost.

Can anybody help me, please? What I would like most would be an ecopy of the
original article. Failing that, any pukka information or route to
investigate.

Thanks very much indeed for your time.

All best wishes                                    Chas Griffin