[Neuroscience] Neuronal Soma size vs the size of the animal

Wed Sep 30 19:51:49 EST 2009

Has anyone seen any information on the size of neuronal somata
relative to the size of the animal? I read the other day that
drosophila have very small somata (but of course, invertebrate neurons
are structured quite differently). I could imagine a corticospinal
neuron having a bigger soma in a big animal, because it has further to
project, more surface area and hence needs more protein synthesis, but
what about local neurons? Or granule cells?