[Neuroscience] Re: Initial LTD/LTP phase

Sun Jul 25 18:23:09 EST 2010

Hi Andreas,

LTD is a bit more complex that LTP, and it can really depend on the
exact area of stimulation, and the exact protocol.

There are a large number of reviews on this subject. The most recent
one that springs to mind is:

Nat Rev Neurosci. 2010 Jul;11(7):459-73.
Long-term depression in the CNS.
Collingridge GL, Peineau S, Howland JG, Wang YT.

However, I am confident is saying that the effect from 5-15 minutes is
completely unrelated to vesicle depletion. However, it may involve
retrograde messengers like endocannabinoids, NO etc.. but it can also
be related to postsynaptic changes