[Neuroscience] Re: Vibratome squash

Tue Mar 9 20:26:22 EST 2010

The younger the animal is, the more the brain will "bend" as you
approach it with the blade. Also, the bigger the brain block (taller
in jonesmat's words), the more it will bend.

What kinda of vibratome are you using? You want your vertical
displacement to be as large as possible (the is changeable on the
VT1000). Perhaps you need to advance the blade more slowly? Or
increase the vibration speed. Don't be afraid to change the settings
from what the "manufacturer recommends".

The cutting chamber is at 4 degrees or colder right? The warmer the
buffer, the more wiggly the brain gets.

Preperfusion wont help you with your problem. All perfusion does, in
my experience, is to improve the optics of the slice, i.e. you can see
deeper.

I would avoid mounting the brain in agar if at all possible. I only
use that for things like brain stem slices, or retinal slices.