[Neuroscience] The total number of neurons in the human CNS

Dr. Michael Ferber via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by Michael.Ferber from gmx.de)
Wed Mar 10 14:44:08 EST 2010

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 16:52:07 Peter H. wrote:

> Frankly, wherever I have found someting about this issue on the
> Internet, the number was always on the order of 10^11 to 10^12.
> So how high is the total numer of neurons in the human CNS according
> to the latest estimates?

These numbers are around since at least 20 to 25 years. I tried to figure out
from where they are coming.... without success. Kandel was mentionesd as
source, but in a talk he claimed nto be not guilty ;-)
I never fpoun d serious etsimations based on counting neurons in a certain
volume or better certain volumes of different parts of the brain. Even the 2
million neurons (or so) in bee brains are- to my knowledge- just rough
estimates....

Rehgards
Michael