[Neuroscience] Re: The total number of neurons in the human CNS

J.A.Legris via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by jalegris from sympatico.ca)
Thu Mar 11 10:09:33 EST 2010

On Mar 10, 2:44 pm, "Dr. Michael Ferber" <Michael.Fer... from gmx.de>
wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 March 2010 16:52:07 Peter H. wrote:
>
> > Frankly, wherever I have found someting about this issue on the
> > Internet, the number was always on the order of 10^11 to 10^12.
> > So how high is the total numer of neurons in the human CNS according
> > to the latest estimates?
>
> These numbers are around since at least 20 to 25 years. I tried to figure out
> from where they are coming.... without success. Kandel was mentionesd as
> source, but in a talk he claimed nto be not guilty ;-)
> I never fpoun d serious etsimations based on counting neurons in a certain
> volume or better certain volumes of different parts of the brain. Even the 2
> million neurons (or so) in bee brains are- to my knowledge- just rough
> estimates....
>
> Rehgards
> Michael

See http://www.transhumanist.com/volume1/moravec.htm for a
computational romp around this question. Result: 10^11 to 10^13
neurons.

--
Joe