[Neuroscience] Ephys, Stimulation induces artifact but no response

Jun Wangxin via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by xinjunwong from gmail.com)
Thu Jul 21 11:30:35 EST 2011

Hi Guys,

I have a prob and it'd be great if somebody could give me an idea how to
solve it or just throw an idea!!

So I've been doing voltage patch clamping, whole cell recording. I can
record beautiful mIPSC/EPSC. Now I want to record evoked IPSC so I'm using a
stimulator injecting current. I saw the artifact and it goes up and down to
the intensity of my stimulation. I checked the connectivity of the system
and it's all fine. I put the stimulator fairly close to my neuron and it
should work. But I just can't see a response IPSC/EPSC. When I put only the
stimulator, patch pipette and ground in the bath, I also only see the
artifact, no current.

Anybody knows what's happening here possily, please?

Thank you!

Jun