[Neuroscience] Ephys, Stimulation induces artifact but no response

r norman via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by r_s_norman from comcast.net)
Thu Jul 21 17:22:46 EST 2011

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 09:30:35 -0700 (PDT), Jun Wangxin
<xinjunwong from gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>I have a prob and it'd be great if somebody could give me an idea how to
>solve it or just throw an idea!!
>
>So I've been doing voltage patch clamping, whole cell recording. I can
>record beautiful mIPSC/EPSC. Now I want to record evoked IPSC so I'm using a
>stimulator injecting current. I saw the artifact and it goes up and down to
>the intensity of my stimulation. I checked the connectivity of the system
>and it's all fine. I put the stimulator fairly close to my neuron and it
>should work. But I just can't see a response IPSC/EPSC. When I put only the
>stimulator, patch pipette and ground in the bath, I also only see the
>artifact, no current.
>
>Anybody knows what's happening here possily, please?
>
>Thank you!

This is an incredibly naive question to ask, seemingly too trivial to
consider, but if you are trying to see an evoked synaptic current then
you have to stimulate a presynaptic cell that actually does synapse on
the one you are recording from.  Are you positive that you are doing
that?