[Neuroscience] Ephys, Stimulation induces artifact but no response

r norman via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by r_s_norman from comcast.net)
Thu Jul 21 22:06:15 EST 2011

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 18:22:46 -0400, r norman <r_s_norman from comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 09:30:35 -0700 (PDT), Jun Wangxin
><xinjunwong from gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi Guys,
>>
>>I have a prob and it'd be great if somebody could give me an idea how to
>>solve it or just throw an idea!!
>>
>>So I've been doing voltage patch clamping, whole cell recording. I can
>>record beautiful mIPSC/EPSC. Now I want to record evoked IPSC so I'm using a
>>stimulator injecting current. I saw the artifact and it goes up and down to
>>the intensity of my stimulation. I checked the connectivity of the system
>>and it's all fine. I put the stimulator fairly close to my neuron and it
>>should work. But I just can't see a response IPSC/EPSC. When I put only the
>>stimulator, patch pipette and ground in the bath, I also only see the
>>artifact, no current.
>>
>>Anybody knows what's happening here possily, please?
>>
>>Thank you!
>
>This is an incredibly naive question to ask, seemingly too trivial to
>consider, but if you are trying to see an evoked synaptic current then
>you have to stimulate a presynaptic cell that actually does synapse on
>the one you are recording from.  Are you positive that you are doing
>that?

What I mean to say is that it is my question about whether the proper
cell is really being stimulated that is trivial and naive, not that of
the original poster with the problem.