[Neuroscience] Ephys, Stimulation induces artifact but no response

Chun-feng via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by cfshang from ion.ac.cn)
Fri Jul 22 21:37:01 EST 2011

I am following.  Besides, maybe you should check whether the IPSC is outward
or inward with the [Cl-] of your intra- and extra- cellular solution.

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:06 AM, r norman <r_s_norman from comcast.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 18:22:46 -0400, r norman <r_s_norman from comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 09:30:35 -0700 (PDT), Jun Wangxin
> ><xinjunwong from gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Hi Guys,
> >>
> >>I have a prob and it'd be great if somebody could give me an idea how to
> >>solve it or just throw an idea!!
> >>
> >>So I've been doing voltage patch clamping, whole cell recording. I can
> >>record beautiful mIPSC/EPSC. Now I want to record evoked IPSC so I'm
> using a
> >>stimulator injecting current. I saw the artifact and it goes up and down
> >>the intensity of my stimulation. I checked the connectivity of the system
> >>and it's all fine. I put the stimulator fairly close to my neuron and it
> >>should work. But I just can't see a response IPSC/EPSC. When I put only
> the
> >>stimulator, patch pipette and ground in the bath, I also only see the
> >>artifact, no current.
> >>
> >>Anybody knows what's happening here possily, please?
> >>
> >>Thank you!
> >
> >This is an incredibly naive question to ask, seemingly too trivial to
> >consider, but if you are trying to see an evoked synaptic current then
> >you have to stimulate a presynaptic cell that actually does synapse on
> >the one you are recording from.  Are you positive that you are doing
> >that?
>
> What I mean to say is that it is my question about whether the proper
> cell is really being stimulated that is trivial and naive, not that of
> the original poster with the problem.

Chun-feng