[Neuroscience] difference between transverse and coronal hippocampal slices

ZARNOWSKA, Ewa Dorota via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by edzska from gmail.com)
Fri Jun 10 10:34:30 EST 2011

It is a great idea to ask questions before doing things. Go ahead and ask
your mentor/supervisor what she/he thinks about your concerns, which are
very appropriate.

Check the paper below out
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A.
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16141320#>2005 Sep
13;102(37):13295-300. Epub 2005 Sep 2.
Orthogonal arrangement of rhythm-generating microcircuits in the
hippocampus.
Gloveli T<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Gloveli%20T%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
Dugladze T<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Dugladze%20T%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
Rotstein HG<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Rotstein%20HG%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
Traub RD<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Traub%20RD%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
Monyer H<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Monyer%20H%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
Heinemann U<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Heinemann%20U%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
Whittington MA<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Whittington%20MA%22%5BAuthor%5D>,
Kopell NJ<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Kopell%20NJ%22%5BAuthor%5D>
.

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Sivakumar Sambandan <siva3008 from gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>    I would like to whether there is any difference between the transverse
> and coronal hippocampal slices. I heard somewhere that the transverse
> slices
> produces mainly dorsal (or ventral hippocapus). Is that true? I have done a
> lot of patch clamp recordings from transverse slices. Now, I have been told
> to try from coronal slices. Can I mix the data in the end?
>
> thanks in advance
> Bill

Ewa Zarnowska
Droid (608) 354 8787