[Neuroscience] Re: Avoiding antidromic spike during synaptic stimulation

Yamini Venkataraman via neur-sci%40net.bio.net (by yvenkata from purdue.edu)
Mon Mar 21 16:10:45 EST 2011

Hi Dr. Vickery,

We use horizontal brain slices and stimulate thalamic afferent fibres (not the CT fibres).  I will place the stimulating electrode differently next time before recording, maybe slightly further away. We tried replacing the electrode because until a few weeks back, all the cells  recorded from horizontal slices using the same stimulating and recording set up gave synpatic responses without the antidromic spikes. The only thing that has changed is the electrode as part of a routine replacement. (We use orthodontic resin to stick together two tungsten stimulating electrodes from AM systems).

Thanks

Yamini

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Vickery" <Richard.Vickery from unsw.edu.au>
To: neur-sci from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2011 10:54:13 PM
Subject: [Neuroscience] Re: Avoiding antidromic spike during synaptic	stimulation

Hi Yamini,

There's usually not a lot of difference between the axon activating parameters,
so changing electrodes won't separate out your input axons from the ones
originating from the neuron you are recording from.

I don't know about the geometry of your thalamic slice, but what you want is to
be on an input pathway and not on an output pathway. You will more likely get
success hunting around for a better stimulus site than by changing electrodes.

regards

Richard Vickery

UNSW