Is your work part of your life? (sort of Re: Inavailability of VER

Peter W Pappas ppappas at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Wed Apr 6 07:15:46 EST 1994

Whether or not these anecdotes are "interesting," I don't know, but I'll pass
them along.  It seems that persons working with Toxoplasma in the lab
(especially the oocyst stage) should assume they will be infected.  I remember
one well-known research in the field who had a T-shirt stating, "I'm infected
with toxoplasmosis (sic)".  In today's culture, I'm not sure I'd advertise that
fact.  As a post-doc (> 20 yr ago), I heard stories in the lab (C.P. Read's
lab) of numerous individuals who tried to infect themselves with Hymenolepis
diminuta --- mostly people who had worked previously in Read's lab.  It took in
only a few of the individuals as was lost spontaneously.  (No, I didn't try
it!)  In Read's lab I also worked with Schistosoma, and upon leaving Read's lab
I had a physical examination.  My eosinophil count was about 10%, and the
physician asked me if I had even done a fecal sample on myself.  I said no, and
I haven't to this day (live and let live is my motto).
--
Peter W. Pappas, Professor/Chairperson, Department of Zoology,
The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH  43210  USA