Is your work part of your life? (sort of Re: Inavailability of VER

ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu ctfaulkn at utkvx.utk.edu
Wed Apr 6 15:48:45 EST 1994

In Article <2nu95i$k10 at charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
ppappas at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Peter W Pappas) writes:

> It seems that persons working with Toxoplasma in the lab
>(especially the oocyst stage) should assume they will be infected.  I remember
>one well-known research in the field who had a T-shirt stating, "I'm infected
>with toxoplasmosis (sic)".

For the record I have been working with T. gondii in a vet diagnostic lab for
nearly 7 years off and on, and i am still sero negative. In fact i'm the
negative control for our diagnostic assay.
  We also conducted an extensive investigation of giardiasis in canines which
required  daily fecal sample collection from confined kennels , and i
was never infected. This was demonstrated by regular fecal exams (znso4 float)
and the EIA for giaardia antigen. In my work i have had to administer infective
Ancyl caninum larvae and infective T. canis eggs to 40 squirming beagles at
weekly intervals for 3 months without incident. I am also working in Mexico
with fecal samples from parasitized children and have yet to be infected.
Sorry i can't provide any colorful ancedotes, but i don't think my experience
is unique among laboratory personel who have a healthy respect for the agents
they work with, wear protective clothing, and make frequent use of betadine
scrub for washing their hands.